Balcony Repairs: Your Complete Guide
Balcony is undoubtedly the best part of every household. In spite of being the interior of the home, the balconies allow us to take a glimpse of the exterior environment. People decorate the balcony with hanging potted plants, hammocks, sofas, hanging lights and various other objects where they sit and enjoy their moments of togetherness with their family.
However, the balconies often need repair as they can dampened, eroded, cracked and faded by the elements of nature like sunlight, heat, rainfall, storm, heavy wind etc. Since they are directly exposed to these natural elements, balcony repairs become a must. Sealing balcony helps to keep moisture away from the exterior of the home which effectively reduces dampness. This will prolong the durability of the home from the elements of nature. Hence, we should look at all the pros and cons of balcony repairs.
Advantages of Repairing Balcony and Deck with Waterproofing
Sealing decks and balconies with waterproofing materials helps in preventing water and rain, the most destructive forces of nature. When water seeps through space in between floorboards, it can create pressure due to the difference in temperature, resulting in expansion and contraction of building materials. This may result in weakening of structure due to cracks.
Benefits of Repairing Balcony Surfaces with Waterproofing
Apart from various other repair works of balconies, sealing them with waterproof materials is the most common type of repair to prevent them from damp and cracks. Some benefits of balcony sealing are discussed below:
- Balcony repairs with waterproofing is required for preserving the underneath area of the balcony from any water seepages or cracks in the areas of heavy snow or rainfall. Sealing the balcony surfaces is an essential part of the building and cannot be taken lightly.
- Sealing flat roof balcony areas, balconies on top of rooms and terrace areas with waterproofing should of the houses should be taken seriously to prevent any serious consequences.
Materials Required for Waterproofing and Sealing Balconies
- There are lots of different methods and new technologies and materials available that can keep balcony sealed and safe from water.
- The material chosen should have the right ingredients depending on the weather conditions of the area.
- The accumulation of calcium crystals, as well as salts from water, disfigures the edges of the balcony, the materials should have the correct amount of expansion capabilities and must be able to stick on to create a good bond and seal for waterproofing.
Methods of Balcony Repairs with waterproofing
One important aspect of balcony repairs is using a waterproofing membrane both below and above the surface, to protect from moisture. Water must be directed correctly away from the area, so that water does not stand and seep into the surface. This draining strategy helps reducing efflorescence, dampness and any water leaking into the tiling or the surface. Hence one must certainly apply the following tactics to ensure good balcony sealing and avoid water ingression, dampness and corrosion —
- Complete all water drainage works before applying any waterproofing materials.
- Complete all fixing and penetrating works before applying the waterproofing
- Choose a membrane material that suits the design and structure of the balcony. Like: balustrade materials and roof materials
- Must ensure of any penetrating materials are applied with an additional sealant to create an additional seal on the area from water.
- Make sure there is a good drainage plan for the balcony levels to avoid creating any water pools.
Thus, balcony repairs should be done right from the very beginning after observing any sign of crack, dampness or erosion in the balcony to keep your balcony last for a long time.