Knowing the Utility of Laboratory Apparatus
Laboratory is a place where scientific experiments are conducted. The conduction of experiments provider the researcher with some results or observation and by studying the observation inferences are drawn. According to the branch of science, the type of laboratory equipment used might vary but there is a staple list of gears in all laboratories which are variously used for different purposes.
The function of equipments present in a laboratory
The prime function of all laboratory apparatuses is to facilitate the process of research and observation. For conducting a certain test a set of apparatus is required. This set of things used for conducting the experimental task comprises of the laboratory equipments needed for that research experiment. Hence it can be stated that each and every tool present in the laboratory serves a different purpose but the function of all the equipments is to help the experimenter to gather suitable observational output.
The main types of laboratory equipments
If a person wishes to know what laboratory equipment are used in the laboratory then the best way is to visit a laboratory to physically view all the different things used for experimentation. However, a general list of equipments is given below along with the functions of the specific equipment:
- Microscope: This instrument is used for observing specimens. The specimen to be observed can be magnified for facilitating the detailed observation of the parts of the specimen. Two kinds of microscope are present one is compound microscope and the other is simple microscope. A compound microscope offers higher magnification.
- Slide: It is a rectangular piece of glass that is used for mounting the specimen so that it can be observed under the microscope.
- Cover-slip: This is a thin shaped object made of clear plastic. It is usually quite small as it is placed as a covering for the specimen on the slide. This protects the specimen from getting damaged while observation.
- Petri dish: This is used for keeping specimens and also for forming cultures. If is generally round in shape and made of glass.
- Test tube: It is a long cylindrical tube made of glass. It is used for testing solutions. There are a variety of test tubes depending upon the specific type of experiment that is to be conducted.
- Test tube holder: While heating the solution present in the test tube the test tube is held over the flame with the help of a test tube holder.
- Bunsen burner: It produces a flame and is useful for boiling and heating substances or solutions.
- Beakers: The beakers are marked and are useful for measuring volume and for storing liquid. Heating liquids can be done by using glass beakers.
- Thermometer: It is used for measuring the temperature of liquids.
- Funnel: It is used for pouring liquids inside a container safely by avoiding spillage.
Apart from the above-mentioned objects, there are many other tools present in a Lab Equipment which are extremely useful for conducting experiments.
Knowing the specification of particular types of fume hoods
Fume hoods can be defined as a large piece of machinery that encloses five sides of the workstation in a laboratory. The bottom of this fume hood is generally placed at a standing height for ensuring work suitability.
The different types of fume hoods
There are two particular types of fume hood which includes the duct ones and the ductless ones. The ductless form of fume hood is also known as a recirculating fume hood. The governing principle, however, remains the same for these two types of Laboratory Fume Hoods. The front portion of the fume hood cabinet is known as the open side. The air which is taken in is expelled from the laboratory building. Sometimes this air is filtered and circulated back into the lab.
The main functions of a fume hood include the following:
- Effective protection of the lab worker from the toxic fumes which upon inhalation can cause severe complications
- Ensuring the safety of the specimen used in the experiment
- Providing protection against hazardous explosions
- Ensuring complete protection of the environment which might be caused by spillages of harmful chemicals
What are the laboratory fume hoods specifications?
This can be known by looking at the construction of fume hoods
- Ducted fume hood: It is set against a wall and has infill fitted on the top which is part of the exhaust ductwork. Internal lights with special type of vapor-proof covers are you for ensuring suitable illumination. There is a sash type of window on the front of the fume hood which is made of glass. This window can be moved up or down and this depends on a counterbalance method. For handling extremely hazardous specimens or chemicals the fume hood includes a glove box that is enclosed. This ensures the complete isolation of the experimenter from any kind of contact with the materials or tools. The option of maintaining negative pressure within the enclosure is also available for dealing with leakages. Industries mostly used ducted fume hoods. The design of ducted fume hoods ensures that air is sucked from the laboratory and then distributed out into the atmosphere.
- Recirculating fume hood: This type of food is chiefly used for educational and testing purposes. In this air is pulled in from the front of the ductless hood and passed through a filter before it moves through a cooling fan and then this air is introduced back into the same workplace. In case of a ductless fume hood, it is vital that the process of filtration is done effectively so the medium used for filtering should be able to remove the poisonous elements.
Fume hoods only form a segment of the ventilation system of a laboratory. Recirculation of the air present in the laboratory to the remaining part of the research facility is prohibited and for that reason, the units handling air service in the non-laboratory zone is kept completely separated from the main laboratory. In order to enhance the air quality inside the laboratory air handling system which are single pass are used for that purpose. The utility of the hood in this regard lies in the successful evacuation of hazardous pollutants present in the lab.
Author Bio :
Cleatech LLC has to design and manufacturing a custom-made laboratory and clean room equipment. If you want to buy the Laboratory Fume Hoods and other equipment such as desiccator cabinets then get more information at Cleatech LLC.