The Need for Formulating a Diet and Lifestyle Plan for Diminishing Acid Reflux
The problem of acid reflux has been faced by many. In simple terms, acid reflux is the reverse flow of churned food that is supposed to enter the small intestine instead it goes back to the esophagus. This is not the normal course of digestion and when this happens it is a clear indicator of severe indigestion. The sphincter muscles are responsible for keeping food from flowing back but if the function of the lower esophageal sphincter is compromised due to any reason then acid reflux is bound to happen.
However, if it is kept unchecked then the problems caused by acid reflux might scar the esophagus or weaken the sphincter muscles beyond repair. If the sphincter muscles fail to work then there will be no way to prevent the regurgitation of food. Hence it is important to understand the methods that can help a person to effectively reduce the frequency of acid reflux.
The scientific inferences with regard to food products causing acid reflux
The current research outlines different items which are regarded as reflux causing agents but infallible proof is not present to deem a product as an acid reflux causing agent. The list of items is based on observations and assumptions. Research conducted with various groups of people for testing the effect of certain acid reflux causing elements has not always yielded convincing results. Hence one should determine the items that are unsuitable for him/her. Food allergies usually eliminate specific food products from the diet chart. In addition to that list, one should also include the food products that have caused severe acid reflux. If a person is observant enough then separating the food products resulting in acid reflux won’t be a difficult task.
The food items that have shown to assist or cause acid reflux
Foods Cause Acid Reflux Symptoms and avoiding those foodstuffs might make it easier for a person to deal with acid reflux on a whole. If constant irritation of the esophagus occurs due to acidic backflow then it is all the more important to chalk out the food items which are potentially causing the reflux problem. The commonly known items that cause acid reflux in human beings are listed below:
- Coffee: It is known to weaken the sphincter muscles for a short span of time. This results in the leakage of acids from the stomach into the esophagus causing acid reflux.
- Carbonated drinks: The CO2 gas present in such drinks results in frequent belching. Belching affects the function of the sphincter muscles and increases the chances of acid leakage from the stomach. The mucosa of the esophagus can also become irritated by the consumption of such drinks.
- Citrus fruits: These fruits are already acidic but the compounds present in these fruits seem to complicate the heartburn of a person by worsening it further.
- Alcohol: It is a portent product that elevates the level of acid in the stomach. The intake of alcohol makes it difficult for the esophagus to remove acid and the lower esophageal sphincter also becomes relaxed due to the effect of alcohol.
- Mint: The inner lining of the esophagus is inflamed due to irritation when a considerable quantity of mint is consumed this eventually aggravates a bout of acid reflux.
- Onion: Due to the presence of fermentable fibers it effectively exacerbates the problem of acid reflux. If it is consumed in raw form then it can irritate the lining of the esophagus.
- Foodstuffs containing saturated fats: Saturated as well as Trans fatty acids are considered harmful and can increase the risk of acid reflux as these are hard to digest.
- Chocolate: It is known to release serotonin that causes the sphincter muscles to become weak, it also considerably increase the amount of acid in the esophagus.
This list is by no means exhaustive and there can be other products that irritate the stomach. Again the items mentioned in the list might not affect everyone and result in acid reflux. Therefore one should be more inclined to draft a personal list of avoidable food items for reducing acid reflux.
Treatment options for acquiring relief from the symptoms of acid reflux
Usually, the first instinct is to take an antacid for relieving acid reflux but it is not the only type of treatment available. There are enough options for acquiring completely organic medication for acid reflux. These methods are bereft of side effects hence Acid Reflux Home Treatment Remedies are often used by individuals to acquire a natural mode of relief instead of constantly using medicines and antacids. A few well-known remedies are delineated below:
- Using sodium bicarbonate: It is a base which can neutralize the excess acid in the stomach and it can be mixed with water to form a solution. Drinking this solution will help to neutralize the stomach acid and alleviate the burning sensation.
- Ginger drink: The juice extracted from ginger can be taken directly or can be mixed with water to aid digestion and relieve acid reflux.
- Drinking ample quantity of water: Water has a normal pH and is suitable for cleaning the stomach and the esophagus. It is important to drink water before a meal so that the esophagus is moistened. The consumption of water will also reduce acidity considerably. However, it is important to drink water slowly and at regular intervals instead of drinking too much at a given point of time.
Along with the above mentioned remedies it is also important to keep one’s diet and weight in check. The lack of a proper diet can cause the buildup of stomach acid. Similarly, obesity affects the metabolism of the body and can also result in a very serious problem known as hiatus hernia which can cause successive bouts of acid reflux.
Therefore eliminating acid causing food products or following remedial procedures isn’t enough for decreasing acidic reflux. A person should be dedicated to create a healthy lifestyle and follow it as far as feasible to reap the benefits of the remedial procedures.