Things To Remember While Packing For Your Move
Aside from scouting for dependable moving companies, packing for a move can be time-consuming and stressful, as well. For starters, you’ll need to have the motivation to start packing (something which most people find very difficult to do) and determine if you’re going to pack based on the items on each room, its uses or frequency of use. Time and attention to details are also vital whenever you’re packing – how else will you know which valuables are placed in which moving boxes if you don’t properly label them? And while you can never disregard the need to pack for a move, you can always change the ways on how you’re doing it. With the right packing strategies, this chore can become lighter and even stress-free. You can experience those things once you pay attention to the following packing tips:
- Get rid of everything: Well, literally not everything but you should get rid of items which you no longer use. If you have clothes which don’t fit you anymore, furniture which is damaged or boxes of unnecessary trinkets, opt to dispose of all of these. You can either choose to sell or donate these items, depending on its conditions. The lesser items you have in your home, the easier it’ll be for you to pack.
- Sort things by category: Most often than not, people will pack based on the items on the room. They’ll have a separate box for the valuables in the kitchen and another for the bedroom. This kind of strategy might work for some but this also comes with several setbacks. If you want your items which were originally placed in your bedroom to be in the living area, you’ll have to go through other moving boxes first. Your options to mix and match decors in your new home will be limited and tiresome. Steer away from this direction by sorting all of your things per category. Instead of using one big box for all the valuables in your bedroom, divide these into smaller boxes while following a certain category.
- Set aside stuff to sell: As mentioned in the first tip, valuables which are still in good condition can be sold through a garage sale. Doing this will not only allow you to declutter your home but this can also help you earn money. You can maximize the profits you’ll earn from a garage sale if you promote the event weeks before and strategically price the items for sale. Keep in mind that these items were either used or slightly damaged so never sell these with its original price.
- Research professional moving companies: Aside from helping you during the moving day, several moving companies also offer packing services. Scout for these companies and inquire about this service and its corresponding costs. If you’re living in New York, start calling movers from NYC to know your options. Having a professional moving company pack your valuables might entail cost from your pocket but since you’ll be able to save time and effort from packing on your own, this option can be very cost-effective.
- Create a master moving to-do list: Weeks before the move, you’ll have complete control of the tasks to be done first and what happens next. However, when you’re too overwhelmed with these tasks and problems are popping out every now and then, you might no longer have the ability to assess complete tasks completely. In fact, you might even be completely lost during the process. The solution? Create a to-do list as early as possible. This list should detail out all the tasks you’ll have to do before, during and after the move. It should also indicate the timeline and supplies needed for each task. The more prepared you are, the lesser stress you’ll experience with these tasks.
- Put all of your moving tasks on your calendar: It’s not enough that you only have your moving tasks sorted out. You should also put these in your calendar so you’ll always be reminded of what you have to do. You can choose to place your moving tasks on a weekly or monthly basis. You can even put sticky notes in different parts of this purpose. With the number of tasks required from you whenever moving, an organization will always be key to success.
In With The New
Most people dread the idea of packing for a move – and if you’re one of them, it’s easy to know why. But since your packing approaches play a significant role in the success of your move, you should exert time and effort to get this job done. You should know how to properly pack all of your valuables so re-arranging all of these the moment you arrive in your new home will become a breeze. Implementing the packing tips presented in this article will make your move memorable for all the right reasons!