Blocked Drains Causes and How You Can Clean Them
Blocked drains are one of the most common and problem and it can be an expensive and time-consuming problem to fix. It is caused by, hair, debris, food, small objects and grease that obstruct the flow of water in the drains. Basically, Blocked drains are a pain that can cause flooding, unpleasant odors, health problems, and much more. For this reason, you should never delay to fix your blocked drain or blocked sewer pipe.
7 Causes of Blocked Drain
- Grease and Fat: Fat and grease are one of the most common causes that can cause blocked drains. The greasy soap, oil, fatty deposits harden the pipe and eventually results in blocked water flow. Therefore, instead of throwing kitchen grease directly into your sink, try to discard it with your garbage.
- Plants and leaves: Natural waste can be a problem for your blocked drains, especially after autumn and spring. Plants, shrubs, leaves, stems, roots etc can cause major obstructions in your drain as it creates a blockage.
- Hair: Hair can start to clog the drain in no time. This happens when people start combing their hair in the bathroom or when they forget to remove their hair that falls off the body.
- Toiletries: This is one of the most important reasons for blocked drains. Often people flush toilet papers, shampoo sachet and baby item in the toilet. However, they are unaware of the fact that even excessive amount of tissue papers can stick inside the drain pipe causing an obstruction for the water to flow.
- Broken Pipes: Often, tree roots and general wear and tear can cause the breakdown or minor fracture of the water pipes. Sometimes, this is caused by poor installation too. Repairing or replacing them can cost you a lot and avoid this make sure to find out a good plumber before anything goes from bad to worst.
- Heavy Rain and storms: Blocked drains can get worse during the rainy season. Heavy rainfall can cause water flooding in the drains pipes because water build is fairly common during heavy rain falls. Therefore, ensure that gutters are cleaned during this season time to time.
- Bad installation: Poor installation of drain pipes can cause a various Blocked drains issue. They can even collapse and can result in damage in both yours and your neighbor’s properties. Thus, hire only a professional plumber to install your pipes.
Problems Caused by A Dirty Drain
- Structural Damage
- Development of health issues
- Pests and mold
- Unpleasant Odors
How to Clear A Blocked Drain
Cleaning blocked drains can be a tough job sometimes as it gives unpleasant smell and flooding. However, there are numerous methods that can help you get the job done quick and effortlessly. The most popular techniques to solve this issue include:
- There are a lot of natural cleaners available in the market that you can purchase for cleaning your blockage. The chemical reacts so quickly and scours inside of the pipes, clearing the blockage entirely.
- Pouring boiling water into the drain is considered as one of the easiest and quick methods to fix your blocked drains.
- Mix 1/3rd of baking soda and with 1/3rd of vinegar and pour it in your drain immediately and let it sit for an hour then flush the hot water.
- Use a wet or dry vacuum to remove the blockage.
- Mix 3 cups of caustic soda with a ¾ gallon of cold water stir it and once it fizzes pour it in your drain.
Although it is difficult to prevent blockage from occurring, you can fix the disaster by taking quick action as soon as possible. The quicker you solve an issue, the less damage you will face.