Does Garlic Work for Cholesterol Reduction Actually Work?
Do you have to stay away from tempting fast food because of your cholesterol problems? Do you want to eat the butter popcorn at a movie theatre but your heart doesn’t allow you? Are you burning a hole in your pocket because of the money your spending on buying medicines to control your cholesterol?
Medications for controlling cholesterol have become so prevalent that more than half of adult US population, i.e., 55% approx are undertaking some or the other cholesterol controlling medicines. Clear all your worries as a clove of small garlic can be your one-stop solution for all the cholesterol issues.
Garlic is the one-stop solution to end all of the problems you have been facing because of your cholesterol. Garlic, which is closely related to onions, has been known to improve people’s digestive and circulatory system. But most importantly, it has caught the researcher’s attention because of the usefulness of using garlic for cholesterol level regulation in the body.
About Garlic for cholesterol
Garlic, which gets mainly known because of its odd odor, is used to add flavor to a vast variety of foods. It is one of the most widely bought root vegetable to control cholesterol. It is very closely related to the onion family. Garlic is used in abundance in India and China and has been in use by the ancient Egyptians since ages. It lowers the level of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), and it does not affect the amount of good cholesterol in your body.
Large amounts of LDL cholesterol in your body can cause blockage in your arteries, which in turn obstructs the circulation of blood inside your body. The allicin, which is one of the constituent chemicals of garlic, has been known to prevent accumulation of garlic in your arteries. It also helps in supplying proper blood to the coronary arteries, which makes a person less prone to various heart diseases.
Why Garlic for Cholesterol?
People spend a large amount of money to purchase medicines to control cholesterol. Moreover, cholesterol patients have to keep their fat intake in check. The medicines they consume also have a lot of side effects too.
Garlic is the most efficient and natural way to prevent the high amount of cholesterol from accumulating in your body. Research conducted in the US suggests that if you take garlic in powdered form, it can help reduce cholesterol in your body at a very significant rate. Additionally, you can use garlic essential oil to reduce high cholesterol.
Few Benefits of Garlic for Cholesterol
- Garlic helps to lower the net amount of LDL cholesterol in the body. It reduces its levels by 10 to 15%.
- Garlic has no significant effect on the excellent amount of HDL cholesterol, i.e., the good cholesterol in the body. You don’t have to worry about your good cholesterol levels while consuming garlic.
- Garlic is also known to lower the triglyceride levels in your body. If the amount of triglyceride in your body is pretty high, then the chances of heart disease and a cardiac arrest also increase.
- It is considered the best natural cholesterol reducer and the effects are applicable even in the long run.
Various ways to use garlic for cholesterol
Garlic always has a special in every household kitchen. There are a lot of ways a person can consume garlic.
Some people prefer to ingest it raw with warm water. It can also be used alongside various vegetables and pulses. It has a lovely taste and it makes the dish delicious.
Top 2 ways to use garlic for cholesterol regulation
1. Ancient Chinese Garlic Recipe
It is an old Chinese herbal remedy that works wonders for reducing cholesterol. It has incredible benefits, and it is also great for weight loss, blood pressure, etc. This mixture helps to alter your lipid profile that also benefits cardiovascular health.
- 1 Deseeded Lemon
- Six peeled garlic cloves
- 200 cc water
- Take water in a pan and put it on medium heat
- Add garlic cloves and lemon into it
- Cook it for 15-20 minutes
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down till it attains room temperature
- Put this concoction in a blender and blend till it gets a consistency similar to condensed milk
- Transfer it into a sealed container and store it in the refrigerator
- Take one tablespoon of this thick paste in tepid water every morning on an empty stomach
2. German Garlic elixir for Cholesterol Reduction
This German garlic elixir will make you feel rejuvenated and light. The magical properties of garlic help to reduce cholesterol build-up. Whereas, the vitamin C and anti-oxidants present in lemons aid in the digestion process.
- 2-liter water
- 40 garlic cloves- unpeeled
- Four lemons; keep the skin on
- Blend garlic and lemon in a food processor or chop it into fine pieces
- Put it in a pan along with the water and bring it to boil
- As the water starts boiling turn off the heat and let the mixture cool
- After it reaches room temperature, strain and put it in bottles
- You can refrigerate and keep it for three weeks
- Shake it well as it tends to become thick and have a little before the meal and one after
- Take it for three weeks and then take a week
- Prepare a new batch for the next three weeks and repeat
Garlic can be beneficial to everyone but only if you take it in the right amount. If you take garlic in excess, it can have the following adverse effects:
- It can cause a feeling of nausea.
- Drinking milk immediately after having garlic can cause gastric problems and acidity.
- If you are allergic to garlic, there are chances that you may have anaphylactic shock.
Garlic has been in use since a very long time as a cure for various problems, but it has always been a matter of controversy.
However, multiple types of research have conducted and most of them conclude that garlic for cholesterol is an excellent choice.
However, you should also modify your lifestyle and your health choices to beat this disease. Garlic makes everything tasty, so just go on and add some garlic in your food. Fight cholesterol effectively using garlic and have a healthy life!
Dr.Sohil is a health professional who has an undying love for writing and an immense need to empower people with knowledge about home remedies, natural cure, fitness, and power yoga. He is someone who follows what he preaches and who has contributed a lot of medical articles for many a website, primarily to Howtocure. In his free time, you can find him catching up with movies, going to treks and spending time with his dog.